Thursday, February 22, 2018

Nude figure study

Christina’s First Pose, 16x12" oil on linen
Over the next several years, Robert and I would continue to bump into one another. Once at an art market that proved not-so-lucrative; another time, perusing art supplies at the local Michael’s; again, when we were given simultaneous, but separate, gallery shows at the Arts Council of Wayne County.

You will think I am joking here, but when in early 2012 I bumped into Robert at an Artspace long-pose figure session in Raleigh, I realized how very serious he was about his painting. Figure study sessions is not where the lecherous go to peep at naked ladies, or necessarily where one learns to draw, but where committed artists go to hone their drawing and painting skills.

I do not have one of Robert’s nudes to share, but I will say this figure later became one of Robert’s nudes because he bought the painting from me. As I was painting the model and wanted sincerely to get Robert’s input, it was not so much a compliment to me why he responded, “Perfect.”

No comments:

Post a Comment